Monday, September 12, 2011
1. Went to the newly opened, famous in Paris, and now famous in NY, pastry shop, Ladurée. It's on 71st & Madison and I don't care what anyone says, I loooove the upper east side. So clean! The caramel with salted butter & green apple were my favorites. The citrus and blackcurrant & violet were not.
2. My headboard adorned with my (F21 & J Crew) jewels. I don't remember where I got this strange idea. I want to say it was from Lauren Conrad. Random.
3. Echo @ Madison Square Park. Kind of looks like a hologram when you move. It seems like it's breathing...or maybe it was me.
4. Burgers for dinner because we were hungry and because my cute friend Melissa now lives in New York! Hurray!
5. Friends who stroll down Saint Nicholas and decide to buzz us just to say hi. Very cute.
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
I'm back from Miami & I had the best time. It was the perfect mix of home/vacation. I slept, I shopped, I ate and I got a (much needed) massage - all while spending time with my people.
On Saturday, my people and I went to Mr. Chow to celebrate my saggy behind turning 28 (sad). 30 is the new 20?
Mr. Chow...meh. I wouldn't go back...unless you're paying, then yes, definitely. & I would get the prawns with walnuts and the fiery beef.
But if I were paying? We'd go to Zuma. & I'd feed you some delicious bass.
Thursday, September 1, 2011
On Tuesday. & I celebrated by getting off work early, taking my Department of Health Food Protection test (& passing, woop), coming home to a room decked out in birthday decorations (and cupcakes) by Amy and a very late dinner at ABC Kitchen. I obviously don't know many people here so I was expecting to have a normal, quiet day but everyone was really sweet at work and I was surprised with a bouquet of flowers and chocolate. At the end, it's those little, unexpected surprises and all the love you get on your birthday that make it special. This weekend...Miami!
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
I'm on 4 hours of sleep and I have to be up super early tomorrow so I'm trying to race the clock but I wanted to share my (quick) thoughts on Ajna. It's beautiful. It's huge. It's owned by that douchebag, Hung, who won Top Chef a couple of seasons ago. The food is good but you pay for ambiance as is the deal with most of these types of restaurants. & it's in the Meatpacking District. My favorite neighborhood for nighttime outings...& getting my heels stuck in cobblestone.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
Being that I've had to deal with countless hurricane warnings (& survived Hurricane Andrew which completely destroyed South Miami back in '92), I wasn't too concerned about Hurricane Irene. I planned on ignoring all the hype Saturday but with everything closing early and the MTA down, I was forced to stay in.
I took full advantage and the weekend consisted of an at-home mani/pedi, about 6 romantic comedies, quiet naps and tons of bad food. It wasn't the most productive weekend but it was far from terrible. As for the "hurricane", we got some heavy winds and rain here in Harlem throughout the evening but if anything else went down, I was blissfully unaware.
I took a walk around my neighborhood Sunday morning to assess the damage. As you can see, the only thing that suffered any devastation was my waistline.
Thursday, August 25, 2011
You get on the train. You smell something peculiar. "Excuse me, ladies & gentlemen"...
There's a black dude that looks about an inch away from death. I'm concerned for him. He looks like he's about to keel over at any second. He's always barefoot and is both bald and has dreads?
A white guy who goes around asking for change and says something that sounds a lot like "shalum". Not shalom but shalum. I'm trying to figure out what this means.
There's one that sings "Can you please help the hungry and the homeless? Can you please spare change for a dolla?". He's my favorite.
Earlier this week there was a Dominican guy really upset that "women to women" can get married. "Be careful. God is not happy", he preached loudly at 7am. He was on the other side of the train and it felt like he was screaming directly into my ear. I am not a morning person. & New Yorkers are rude? Yeah, right. No one asked him to kindly shut the fuck up and it went on from when I got on at 145th until 42nd street. "Santo sea el nombre de Dios".
Don't get me wrong. The A train & I are tight.
& when you happen to be on a local train and you pull up to a station to see the GLORIOUS A train across the platform. What a rush! Will I make it?!
So far, I've always made it.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
I felt as if I was transported into another decade. Can't you just envision Scarface slouched in a corner booth, smoking a cigar? He would have hung out at The Hurricane Club, for sure. Bartenders & waiters wear white smoking jackets & gloves. I don't even really know what a smoking jacket is but I can bet that that's what they were.
I can't be sure that my friends were happy with their choices but I was more than satisfied with both my drink and my meal.
I need to go back with pork lovers. They serve whole roasted pigs. YUM.
The soap in the bathroom smells nice.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
It was supposed to rain all weekend but luckily Saturday turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day. After an indulgent breakfast at Norma's, Boots, who was in town all weekend (!), and I headed to Central Park to unwind.
I've realized that if I'm ever having a bad day, I should head to Central Park. It has magical powers over me that never cease to amaze.
By the way, please run to Norma's. You're going to want to order the Very Berry Brioche French Toast with a side of bacon. It got Boot's silent "my mouth is too full to speak" nod of approval & I've turned him into quite the knowledgeable eater.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
1. (L) My walk to work every morning. (R) I've become one of those people. Those people who literally walk on your heels, pushing you without physically touching you, urging you to GET.THE.FUCK.OUT.OF.MY.WAY. Slow walkers irritate me. Especially on a crowded subway platform.
2. (L) The highlight of my Friday afternoons is getting home from work to see the laundry room is unoccupied. Rare occurrence around here. Happy hour does not compare to clean sheets & towels. (R) My Friday night. Really delicious bottle of $7 Riesling. Ha.
3. (L) I take myself on matinee dates regularly. Saw The Help. A little long but the ending was perfect. The book is (as always) better. (R) Shout out to Shazia from Himalayan Threading Salon on 47th & 6th for hooking up my brows.
4. (L) Skinnygirl Sangria has been found! I had to rape and pillage but it was worth it. Just as good (and strong) as her margarita. If you haven't figured it out, I am obsessed with Bethenny. I want to be her. I am her turned down about a few thousand notches. (R) Me, my nails (and my Con Edison bill) are ready for fall (military green in "sew psyched" and taupe in "mink muffs"). I am not looking forward to winter so please feel free to linger, Fall.
5. (L) Rainy Sunday through my window (R) calls for breakfast in bed. Mangu, fried eggs, fried cheese, fried salami and jugo de chinola. I'm Dominican therefore this does not gross me out. In fact, I would willingly eat it every morning.