Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yeah, baby, I like it raw.

Photobucket
Photobucket

That's right. I've joined the green monster movement. & as you can see, Homer isn't happy about it. If you have no idea what I'm talking about go here.

If you're like me and don't like clicking links, this is basically a smoothie with a buttload of health benefits. The main ones that stood out for me were increased energy, cancer & cardiovascular disease prevention & (hello) glowing skin. There are tons of different recipes but the one I used is as follows:

1 c vanilla almond milk
2 c raw organic spinach
1 banana
1 tbsp flax seeds
ice

Now here's my honest opinion. I like spinach but I usually prefer it drowned in vinaigrette so I was very skeptical. I thought it would give me the runs. It didn't. I thought I'd have flax seeds stuck in my teeth. I did. That being said, I don't think it's a delicious smoothie but you really can't taste the spinach at all. It tastes like bananas mixed with a little funk. But that funk is what makes it so darn good for you so I'm forcing myself to get used to it and incorporate it into my daily routine (along with trying to drink 72oz of water).

I just started today so obviously I don't feel any drastic changes but I had it for breakfast and I'm usually staaaarving way before lunchtime and this kept me nice and full all morning. I'll keep you guys posted!