Monday, June 27, 2011
The greatest love song ever written. Well, in my opinion. & that's what counts around here, in case you hadn't heard.
I was building furniture yesterday listening to Pandora and this song came on and I got in a romantic mood. It's been stuck in my head ever since. Don't mind me.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
After I got word that we had the final approval on our apartment, I called Amy and insisted we celebrate. We walked around the newly opened section of the High Line and hopped on over to The Standard Grill.
If you follow me on the Twitters, you already know how miserable I am due to the fact that I can't chew (& that my jaw is the size of Kanye West's post-accident. We're working on a remix called "Through The Straw".) so not only could I not have a cocktail (on antibiotics) but my dinner options were limited.
Not much of a celebration, I know.
But Standard Grill gave me simple syrup to sweeten my iced tea instead of sugar packets. It's the little things.
Isn't it always the little things?
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Great news. We got the apartment! It wasn't our first choice & it's a little more uptown than we wanted (I fell in lust with the 116th area) but it's a beauty. The kitchen isn't even the best part and trust, this is one badass kitchen for New York standards. Dare I say, even for Miami standards.
It's happening! & it's scary and exciting...and scary and exciting!
Thursday, June 16, 2011
1. So there's this Uruguayan restaurant around the way that I like to frequent. What the hell is an Uruguay and what the hell do they serve in their restaurants, say you? Well, it's pretty much the same as Argentinean cuisine meaning flank steak, skirt steak, steak steak, sausage on steak, sausage on sausage - it's all very homoerotic and then there's this - the chaja. Chajoo? Layers of meringue mixed with peach slices, sponge cake bathed in peace juice and a thick layer of the best dulce de leche. I honestly come here for this and this alone. Though I don't hate the little warm breads they serve before your meal, either. I like to fill them with chimichurri. Oh gaaaw, I'm hungry.
2. Having to take a trip to Toys-R-Us to buy a friends daughter a birthday gift obviously means you have to try out all the toys yourself. You know, to make sure they're not hazardous or anything. Let's not talk about my hair. We are clearly not on the same page. & let's not talk about how the straighter my teeth get, the bigger my nose gets. Let's just not do this right now.
3. Speaking of teef, wisdom teef. Well, wisdom teeth are assholes. & the sooner you get rid of assholes making your life a living hell, the better for you. & I'll have you know I can now audition to play Alvin, Simon OR Theodore in their next big blockbuster hit and I'm sure I'd nail it.
4. I took myself on a date the last day I was in NY and went to Luke's Lobster on the UWS. Duuuuuuude. They do not skimp. Those lobster chunks were massive. I could have had three of these. & their sodas are suuuuper. & I like to pretend I don't like soda so that's saying something?
5. I like this tasty little corner of the West Village. Murray's Cheese, Keste, Grom and popbar. & this cute little "park" where you can enjoy your pistachio & hazelnut gelato while staring at weirdos (undoubtedly my favorite NYC pastime).
Thursday, June 9, 2011
The transition from college student to uh, "what the hell do I do now" has me thrown for a loop. I'm not feeling like myself and though it's only been two weeks, this not having a thing to do is already getting old. It's a lot of "hurry up & wait" lately. Some days there aren't enough hours to get everything done and others I'm just staring at my phone and refreshing my email hoping for an approval on an apartment or a call from one of the 20-something jobs I've applied for. Again, I know it's only been two weeks but I'm not known for having patience, friends. Then again, I can literally get a call tomorrow that our application was approved and things will get really chaotic - having to pack my stuff up, sell my car & a bunch of other things that I won't get into because they're sorta private. Of course this is what I wanted and I'm still very much excited but you plan things out so well in your head and well, it doesn't quite turn out the way you expect. I like having a routine and I don't have one right now. This sounds very "woe is me". Trust, it's not. Honestly, I'm just bored out of my mind and don't like not knowing what's going to happen and when! So that's what's up.
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
1. Rooftop happy hour at Sky Room in Hells Kitchen.
2. After we found out we had to pay to get onto Long Beach, we immediately made our way to the liquor store.
3. Our broker said I had to try Jesus Taco's in Harlem. So I did. The tacos al carbon hit the spot.
4. Dear Heaven on 119th, if I do not become your tenant, I'll always remember you fondly.
5. No trip to NY is complete without a picnic in Central Park.